ADVERTISE IN THE ANNIVERSARY ISSUE

WANTED::Advertisers & Sponsors For The Upcoming Issue of DIVINE Magazine!

To Request a Media Kit or Sponsorship Package, Email
divinemagazine@gmail.com or Call 1.855.456.4475 TODAY!!!

Monday, October 12, 2009

7 Questions For...

Memphis Mayoral Candidate Carol Chumney




DIVINE: (1) What are the top 5 issues you plan to tackle as mayor?
CC: I have a "Back to Basics" platform, which can be viewed at http://www.carolchumneyonline.com/. As a lifelong Memphian who loves this city, my top priorities are to cut crime, bring good-paying jobs, work with the faith-based community and businesses to provide after-school activities and summer jobs for youth, fill the Pyramid, and revitalize neighborhoods.

DIVINE: (2) What support can you/do you plan to provide for Faith Based Organizations?
CC: I am a person of faith and regularly attend Calvary Episcopal Church (downtown), and Hope Presbyterian Church (Cordova). I have visited churches, synagogues,and other places of worship in Memphis. I will form an advisory committee of religious leaders from different faiths. I will work with them and businesses to develop programs for positive after-school activities and summer jobs for youth.

DIVINE: (3) Describe your passion for the City of Memphis.
CC: After 40 years since the tragic death of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. in our city, I believe this is the appointed time for Memphians to come together and heal. We have wandered in the wilderness long enough, and can conquer the giants of high crime, high unemployment, high poverty, and kids not having hope and a future, and make this a world class city. I see Memphis as becoming the economic engine of the South.

DIVINE: (4) Why do you want to be the mayor?
CC: I've devoted most of my adult life to public service, and I believe in the people of Memphis. I am running for Mayor because I believe that we can bring the change we need.

DIVINE: (5) What do you feel you bring to the table?
CC: I bring 13 years as a state legislator, and 4 years as a Memphis City Councilwoman. I also have been an attorney in private practice for over 22 years. The people of Memphis have always been able to count on me to stand up for them and let their voices be heard. I have a record of getting things done, such as fighting to repeal the 12 year pension for elected officials, passing statewide reform to make child care safer, passing the law to let the Memphis Church Health Center provide health care to thousands of working poor, and stopping legislation that would let corporations cover up environmental hazards. I am a proud graduate of the Memphis Public Schools, and of the University of Memphis college and law school.

DIVINE: (6) How will citizens be able to gauge your progress as mayor?
CC: Is your neighborhood safer? Are kids in school, and safer on the way to and from school? Are there more positive activities for youth after school, and summer jobs? Are more good-paying jobs here? Are we being perceived as the up and coming city for relocation of businesses and families? Since this special election is to fill a vacancy, I will have less than 700 days to make a difference. I believe we can.

DIVINE: (7) Who/What Inspires You?
CC: The stories in the Bible inspire me- such as David who was anointed by God to become the King of Israel because he was a good shepherd, had faith, and a true heart. Or how about the battle of Gideon, in Judges, chapters 6 and 7. Gideon started with an army of 22,000 men, and God sent all of them home except for 300 men to defeat the Midianites and show his power.

No comments:

Post a Comment